• Surface Area: 30 Acres
• Volume: 800 Acre Feet
• Average Depth: 43 Feet
The lake is named for Atalanta Gregory, the wife of O.L. Gregory, who donated most of the land that now forms the lake. Lake Atalanta Dam is earthen with rock fill, and is 43 feet tall and 910 feet long.
Lake Atalanta was constructed in 1936-1938 as a public works project of the Works Progress Administration, a New Deal-era agency. For the first ten years of its existence, the area around Lake Atalanta was undeveloped, and used primarily for fishing. In 1948 and 1949, a swimming pool, miniature golf course, roller skating rink, and restaurant were constructed. In the mid-1950s, Lake Atalanta became a water source for the city with the construction of a water treatment plant. During a drought in the 1960s, the lake nearly dried up, and was refilled by pumping water from nearby Beaver Lake. In 1970, Beaver Lake replaced Lake Atalanta as the city's water source.